Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thing 10 - Learn about wikis

Wikis are another wonderful collaborative tool. I enjoyed looking at the pathfinder wiki developed by the St. Joseph County Public Library system. I was fascinated to find information in the geneology area about my mom's family. She is originally from this area. I also found the The Blogging Libraries Wiki fascinating, especially Valley View Middle School's blogging wiki with all of the book reviews. This is a great idea for school media centers! Finally MN150 wiki is a great tool to share about Minnesota's history.

I completely understand why high school teachers ban Wikipedia from student research. Many students do not evaluate the information that they read on the internet. They are not really critical users of the internet. Students need to be introduced to reliable sources and learn how ti evaluate internet sites before using sources like Wikipedia which may or may not have accurate information for research.

I edited 23 things on a stick wiki.

1 comment:

SAMMIE said...

There are 4 weeks left to complete 23 Things on a Stick. You already have 10 completed! I am enjoying following your blog. Robin

A Quote from Dr. Seuss

A P Copper Uppercase Letter E r IMG_9028 card letter o N i S A p Pewter Ransom Font e r S O P1000644 N O M A t t e R h_McElman_070717_2641 0_006 W McElman_070820_5395 M A Bead Letter L L